In the quantities needed for coolant control, it has no noticeable odor or color. It is not irritating to humans or equipment. It acts quickly and efficiently and leaves no chemical by-products except oxygen. In contrast, biocides can lower pH, cause salt build ups that can require dumping, and if overused, can cause dermatitis. While chlorine and other forms of biocides form thousands of extremely toxic by-products, ozone forms virtually none. Ozone is easier and safer to handle than biocides because Ozone is generated on site, this eliminates transportation hazards.
The ozone or active air disperses through the coolant oxidizing bacteria and mold. The ozone is used up at point of contact. The Ozone instantly oxidizes any organic material that it comes in contact with and then returns to its original form: oxygen. The result of this process is an oxygen rich environment which is fatal to odor forming bacteria while not causing damage to the coolant itself. A healthy environment is achieved.
One of the keys to the successful use of ozone is that it must be diffused properly within the coolant system. Ozone at the levels we use is safe. It goes after the fungus, yeast, mold, and bacteria. We have also found that with the microscopic bubbles diffused in the solution acts somewhat like an dissolved air floatation system and helps with the removal of very fine dispersed tramp oil droplets that otherwise may be missed on one pass through a traditional coalescer.